Monday, March 16, 2015

Sushi Making


By Lauren Rosalanko


The Maxwell in Arlington, VA is a luxury apartment building located conveniently near the Ballston metro with gorgeous rooms and great amenities for residents. The Maxwell lobby acted as the perfect place for the opportunity to learn how to make sushi from Sushi Rock's owner. Sushi Rock is located on 1900 Clarendon Blvd also in Arlington, VA.




I learned how to make my own California Roll (with a little help!) and also had the opportunity to sample many of the different options offered at Sushi Rock. As a fan of music, I loved the clever titles for the sushi rolls, such as "Light My Fire" named after the famous Doors' track. The roll was one of the best I have ever tasted, since I love spicy food. The roll featured crunchy shrimp, spicy tuna, avocado, aioli, an eel BBQ sauce and finally was topped with a slice of jalapeño. The "Salmon Lover" roll was also a great choice since I had never seen strawberries paired with salmon sushi before. It was also topped with a light mango sauce and avocado was in the roll. The sweet fruity flavors helped cut the salmon's fishy taste, which was perfect for me! While I only mentioned my two favorites there are many more vibrant, specialty rolls to try, in addition to classic rolls if you prefer to stick to your favorites.


The Maxwell was gracious enough to provide us with sushi making kits and I hope to attempt it again at home! While I am not sure if I am going to be a pro at sushi rolling anytime soon, it would be a great idea for a part, especially with something simple like a California Roll. Thanks again to The Maxwell for hosting such a fun event and to Sushi Rock, it was so great to learn a new food skill!

No comments: