Thursday, July 26, 2012

Re-Cap: Eating in the Rain (and singing too!)


Think Local First wrapped up a successful week of Eat(ing) Local First with it's 2nd Annual Farm-To-Street Party. Despite the continuous rain, (which many looked to prefer over 100 degree heat), the outdoor celebration on a pop-up park on V Street went on as planned, with music, cooking demonstrations, a pie eating contest, and over 40 vendors selling hand-crafted gifts, and of course, food!


Jelly from Rutabaga sweets. It took me a while to decide between Passion Mandin, Blood Orange, and Strawberry Guava, (I really should have chose all three) but I went with the Blood Orange, and it adds the perfect touch to my breakfast, or late-night snack.


Langdon Wood Barrel-Aged Maple Syrup



The Sweetgreen crew mixing up some salads. As soon as I saw the words "Guacamole Greens" I knew where one of my food tickets was going. I can never say no to a chicken and avocado combo.



Honey Roasted Peanuts from Coastal Nut packed a mighty crunch. I immediately fell in love with the Salt and Pepper flavor, as pepper is my favorite condiment!





When Salt and; Pepper isn't available as a flavor, my next go to is Salt and Vinegar, which Route 11 Chips happily provided me.


Raw Vegan treats from Gouter. This photo is actually from the A Bigger Future for Local Food - Industry Panel, held on Wednesday, July 18th at the Phillips Collection, but Gouter was also at the Farm-To-Street Party, where I put zero thought into pulling out two food tickets for their fresh Tonic. Made with a bit of Jalapeno, the Tonic puts a nice kick in your day.



Plates from Sonoma came with lots of smiles.


 I first tried a cookie from Whisked! at the U St. Farmer's Market a month or so ago. I then started recommending their pies without ever having tried them. Here I found the perfect opportunity to try a slice of Tomato and Goat Cheese pie. I will continue to recommend their pies.


Goldilocks Goodies! Unfortunately I didn't make room to sample these treats, but my friend did, and she was this close to coming back for seconds.



Pizzas were cooked up in a mobile brick oven with ingredients provided by Whipple Farms.


Cooking demonstrations at the Operation Eatery tent.



13th Street Meats working the grill.

Think Local First's Farm-To-Street Party was much like a Taste of DC, with a local focus (and much less chaotic) providing a perfect way to spend a Saturday, even a rainy one. For more info about how to support local businesses in DC, even when Think Local First isn't throwing parties, visit http://thinklocalfirstdc.com/.

No comments: