Thursday, September 4, 2008

Spotlight: Chef Oliver Friendly


Oliver joined me on our Farmer's Market Supper Episode. He is an excellent chef and great teacher. He started a personal chef business called Eat and Smile Foods. Oliver is an expert at finding the best foods at the local farmers' markets. He knows how to use fresh ingredients and make the food look beautiful. He caters fabulous dinners and teaches cooking lessons in the comfort of your own home. You can catch us making some delicious recipes this month in DC and Virginia on Capital Cooking with Lauren DeSantis. Show times will be posted soon. I asked Oliver how he started his business and he responded, "For me, I started catering for friends and family and realized how much I enjoyed cooking for people. I then decided to go to culinary school to get some real training. After working in a restaurant, PS7's, for over a year, I moved on to Hook part time while I started establishing my name as a caterer. I had two regular clients which barely paid the rent. I got written up on DailyCandy and that started a wave. From clients I gained there I started to expand my client base through references from current clients and attendees at my events. A restaurant would be great a some point, but it is a commitment of 20 hours a day for 2-5 years, and I like living my like a little too much."

Your browser may not support display of this image.

Roasted Corn Soup

www.eatandsmilefoods.com

Ingredients

1 dozen ears of corn

3 Tbl butter

2 onions

4 cloves garlic

3 springs rosemary

1 bunch lemon thyme

½ cup white wine

3 cups water/vegetable stock/chicken stock

2 cups cream

Salt and Pepper

Method

Get the largest pot you have and fill it with 2 inches of water.

Heat till boiling then add corn and cook, covered, for 6 minutes.

Remove and let cool.

Cut the kernels off and set these aside.

See “Optional”

Heat a large dutch oven till almost smoking.

Add butter and let melt.

Add onions and cook till soft and translucent.

Add garlic and cook for 1 minute.

Turn heat to high and add corn kernels.

Cook till lightly golden, or about 5-10 minutes.

Season.

Add herbs.

Add wine and reduce till wine smell is gone.

Reduce heat to medium low and add the stock/water.

Cook for 30-45 minutes.

Puree, IN BATCHES, in a large blender, then strain through a mesh strainer.

Season.

Add cream.

Season.

Then you eat it, then you smile.

Optional

Take the corn cobs and cut them in half.

Place in a pot and cover with cold water.

Bring to a simmer and let simmer for 30 minutes.

Strain and reduce till you have 2-3 cups.

Use this broth to make the soup.


Photo by Ashley Mosley

No comments: